Thursday, January 17, 2013

Psalm 118


A lot of the psalms repeat the saying, "His Mercy endures forever".  I've read it many times, but this time it really struck me.  Maybe I was especially in need of mercy.  Maybe it just never really sunk in.

His mercy endures forever.

Heaven is forever!  Forever in heaven I will reap the benefits of His mercy!  FOREVER!!!   Wow!  What did I ever do to deserve that?  That's the best part... nothing.  There has never been and will never be anything I could possibly do to deserve heaven.  Its a free gift for the taking.

When Jesus willingly died on the cross for our sins, He took my {our} punishment.  He was buried.  He rose again on the third day, to give us life. {1 Corinthians 15:3-4}  He ascended into heaven to live eternally and prepare a place for those of us who believe. {John 14:1-6}

Believe.
{Merriam-Webster Dictionary}
Intransitive verb: 1 a: to have a firm religious faith
b: to accept something as true, genuine, or real
2: to have a firm conviction as to the goodness, efficacy, or ability of something
3: to hold an opinion
Transitive verb: 1 a: to consider to be true or honest
b: to accept the word or evidence of
2: to hold as an opinion: suppose


During His ministry on earth He made it clear that before we believe we must repent.  Luke 5:32  "I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

Repent:
{Merriam-Webster Dictionary}
Intransitive verb: 1: to turn from sin and dedicate oneself to the amendment of one's life
2 a: to feel regret or contrition
b: to change one's mind
Transitive verb: 1: to cause to feel regret or contrition
2: to feel sorrow, regret, or contrition for

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is a gift of God, not  of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."
Ephesians 2: 8-10

****************************************

There were other verses in this chapter that touched my heart as well.  I have been convicted to teach my children verses about trusting in the Lord during times of fear. I believe this country is facing some serious and drastic changes in our lifetime, and even more so in the lifetimes of our children.  They need verses to cling to.  I remember reading "The Hiding Place", the story of Corrie Ten Boom.  The Ten Boom family were Dutch Christians who were imprisoned for hiding Jews from the Nazis during   World War II.  Corrie and her sister Betsie were sent to a concentration camp and clung to Psalm 32: 7 "You are my hiding place, You shall preserve me from trouble"  Psalm 118 also has several verses about trusting in the Lord instead of being fearful:
6.The Lord is on my side;
I will not fear.
What can man do to me?

8. It is better to trust in the Lord
than to put confidence in man.
9. It is better to trust in the Lord 
than to put confidence in princes.

13. You pushed me violently, that I might fall.
but the Lord helped me.
14.The Lord is my strength and song.
and He has become my salvation.

There are people in this country that believe our president has all the answers; that he is moving this country in the right direction.  But we can't place our faith in our government.  There is Someone far above him who is just using our president to fulfill HIS greater plan.  Our Sovereign God is really the One in charge.  Even though it seems like everything is falling apart, it is just part of the plan.  Though it isn't easy, it is an honor to be alive in a time when we can read through the Bible and then look around and see some of His prophesies being fulfilled right now!  We also need not be afraid for the worst part... because... we won't be here for that part, anyway!

Food for thought.

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment